5 Compelling reasons why businesses need managed security services
The cybersecurity landscape is constantly evolving, with new threats and vulnerabilities emerging at an alarming rate. Navigating this complex terrain requires a strategic approach that extends beyond traditional security measures. This is where managed security services (MSS) step in as a beacon of protection and assurance.
What are managed security services?
Managed security services represent a proactive and comprehensive approach to safeguarding a company’s digital assets, data, and IT infrastructure against a range of cyberthreats. MSS providers offer a suite of specialized services designed to spot and prevent security breaches, minimize risks, and keep the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of sensitive information.
Here are the typical services included in MSS offerings:
- Threat monitoring and detection – MSS involves constantly monitoring network traffic and system logs to identify unusual or suspicious activities. Intrusion detection systems and intrusion prevention systems are commonly used to detect potential threats and attacks.
- Incident response and remediation – MSS providers are adept at developing a solid incident response plan for mitigating a security incident. They work swiftly to contain the breach, analyze its impact, and implement measures to avoid further damage.
- Vulnerability management – MSS providers regularly assess IT systems to identify vulnerabilities in software, hardware, and configurations, and may develop and implement strategies to patch these vulnerabilities.
- Firewall and network security – MSS providers can configure and manage firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, and other network security tools. These measures help prevent unauthorized access and data exfiltration.
- Endpoint security – A vital component of MSS involves ensuring the security of endpoints, including laptops, desktops, and mobile devices. Endpoint security solutions include antivirus software, malware detection, and encryption to prevent data loss.
Why should businesses seek managed security services in 2023?
Studies made in 2021, 2022, and 2023 revealed that human error remains one of the most significant contributors to security breaches. These studies show that even the most highly secure systems can fall victim to an accidental oversight or a misconfiguration. MSS can help mitigate damage due to human error and other system failures.
Apart from minimizing human error, MSS offers the following benefits:
1. Expertise and skills gap
Many organizations lack the in-house expertise required to combat advanced cyberthreats effectively. MSS providers offer access to a specialized team of IT security experts who are well versed in the latest cyberthreats and defense mechanisms. In addition, outsourcing security management allows businesses to concentrate on their core competencies without being distracted by the complexities of cybersecurity.
Building and maintaining an in-house cybersecurity team can be costly and tedious. Managed security services provide a more cost-effective solution, as businesses can avoid the costs associated with recruitment, training, and infrastructure setup, and at the same time, get access to a diverse skill set. Businesses can channel their resources toward core activities, leaving the intricacies of security in the hands of professionals.
3. 24/7 Monitoring and rapid response
Cyberthreats can happen outside of business hours, and a delayed response can lead to devastating consequences. MSS providers offer continuous monitoring and rapid incident response, ensuring that potential threats are detected and addressed promptly, reducing the risk of prolonged and costly breaches.
4. Regulatory compliance
With increasingly stringent data protection regulations, businesses must ensure their security practices align with industry standards. Managed security services help companies remain compliant with regulations such as GDPR, HIPAA, and PCI DSS.
5. Scalability and flexibility
MSS can be tailored to suit the unique needs of each business. As companies grow or experience changes, MSS providers can adapt their services to accommodate evolving security requirements.
|Related reading: Does your business really need managed IT services?|
The bad news is that cyberthreats will continue to be pervasive in the years to come, and businesses will have to develop and implement proactive security measures against them. But the good news is that managed security services offer a holistic approach that combines expertise, technology, and continuous monitoring to fortify an organization’s defenses.
Boost the security of your Salt Lake City business’s IT systems with the assistance of our expert team. Contact us today to get started.